Complete Job Posting:
CSU Online Application Portal:
Required Job Qualifications:
Applicants must possess a terminal degree (MFA, MDes, or equivalent international degree) in Graphic Design or related study in visual communication, excellent written and visual communication skills, first-hand experience with the practices and standards of visual communication subjects, digital media technologies, extensive knowledge of international graphic design history, theory and contemporary practice.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Ability to enhance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion reflecting departmental and institutional values, active record of relevant creative arts exhibitions or a history of professional accomplishment and recognition, teaching experience in higher education or equitable mentorship to non-traditional or underrepresented communities, demonstrated attention to breaking issues in visual communications and the role of graphic design in social and professional contexts.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
To initiate application, submit ONLY the following materials through the CSU online application portal:
- Cover Letter/Letter of Interest – 2 pages, single-spaced maximum (addressed to Prof. John Gravdahl)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Artist and Creative Research Statement – 2 pages, single-spaced maximum
- Statement of Teaching/Mentorship Philosophy. Note specific, critical understanding of current trends and research, and pedagogy of graphic design based on your education and experience. 2 pages, single-spaced maximum.
- Diversity & Inclusivity Statement – Please explain how diversity and inclusivity inform and/or shape your research, teaching, service, or other professional activity. Specific examples are encouraged. 2 pages, single-spaced maximum length. This document should be submitted through the “Special Required Documentation” option within the online application system.
- Three professional references – Include contact information only (name, address, email and phone number). References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
- Applicant portfolio – Please provide 20 examples of artwork/creative research and a link to professional website. Images are most easily uploaded to the online application system as PDF files. Video work will be viewed through the applicant’s website.
- Teaching portfolio – 10-20 images of artworks from classes taught by applicant or from mentorship lead by applicant. Images are most easily uploaded to the online application system as PDF files and should be submitted through the “Course Materials” option.
About: Colorado State University’s Department of Art & Art History curriculum supports majors in Studio Art (BA, BFA and MFA), Art History (BA), and Art Education (BA), as well as an affiliated minor in Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Arts Advocacy and the Public (LEAP).
The Department supports a wide range of international study opportunities in Italy, South Africa and Semester-at-Sea.
Colorado State University has a strong and on-going commitment to equity and increasing diversity among students, faculty and staff.
Graphic Design is one of the Department’s ten studio areas of focused study towards BA, BFA, and MFA curricula: Drawing, Electronic Art, Fibers, Graphic Design, Metalsmithing, Painting, Photo Image Making, Pottery, Printmaking, Sculpture.
Student BFA pursuits require a range of these fields of study. Degree programs in Art History and Art Education are also available for student consideration.
Graphic Design courses are taught in two separate dedicated studio classrooms and one dedicated computer lab used for both teaching and open access. The biennial Colorado International Invitational Poster Exhibition at Colorado State is a premier internationally recognized component of the Department’s educational offering.
The Department of Art & Art History at Colorado State University seeks applicants for a full-time tenure track position in Graphic Design to begin August 16, 2019.
We seek an exceptional educator, scholar, and artist who will join our team of dynamic, creative professionals in design, studio art, art history, and art education. The successful candidate will contribute their insights and experiences to this positive and forward-looking department. Candidates who can advance the department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion through scholarship, creative activity, and teaching are encouraged to apply.