Assistant Professor • New Media and Design, tenure-track, 9-month appointment • Fall 2019
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro School of Art seeks to fill a new tenure-track, Assistant Professor position in New Media and Design.
The School of Art’s New Media and Design program introduces students to the variety of conceptual and technological approaches employed by contemporary artists and designers. The successful candidate will contribute significantly to undergraduate and graduate education, art and design creativity, and service to academic and professional institutions. The position will involve curricular development in the candidate’s area of creative scholarship. An ideal candidate will have strengths in at least several of the following areas: media and transmedia arts, interactive media, generative and programmatic art, data visualizations, digital photography, video art, digital art, installation, performance, publicly engaged practices or closely related contemporary art practices.
Housed in a first-rate facility and located next door to the acclaimed Weatherspoon Art Museum, the School of Art has also opened the Greensboro Project Space gallery—an experimental site in a vibrant downtown area that is also home to the Elsewhere Museum, the International Civil Rights Museum and numerous other cultural institutions.
UNCG is proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool. We are an EOE/AA/M/F/D/V employer and are strongly committed to increasing faculty diversity (http://web.uncg.edu/hrs/).
- teach 3 courses each semester
- develop the curriculum in the area of new media and design
- pursue an active and rigorous program of creative research
- engage in an ongoing dialogue about the program and art and design disciplines
- advise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students
- supervise student research projects and theses
- provide service to the department, college, university and community
- MFA in Visual Art or related field
- significant record of creative activity
- knowledge of contemporary art and design
- 3 years of teaching experience preferred
- salary commensurate with experience
- appointment begins August 1, 2019
- review of applications begins January 14, 2019
To apply for the position, electronically submit the following as Word or PDF:
- statement of interest
- curriculum vita
- creative research statement
- professional portfolio (20 works with image list or captions)
- teaching philosophy
- portfolio of student work (20 works with image list or captions)
- list of 3 references with names, mailing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers*
Go to the UNCG JobSearch website: https://jobsearch.uncg.edu/ and click on "Faculty Tenure Stream" to apply for the position.
* The three references for whom applicants are asked to supply contact information will be solicited by the UNCGjobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Reference/Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur as soon as the applicant successfully submits the application and receives a confirmation number from the UNCGjobsearch system.
About: The School of Art is part of the College of Visual & Performing Arts, a community of artists with almost 1500 undergraduate and graduate students. It is the largest visual and performing arts unit in the University of North Carolina system and is recognized for its comprehensive array of graduate programs and the success of its graduates. The School of Art enrolls over 400 majors and offers degrees in Art Education, Art History, New Media and Design, Painting, Printmaking and Drawing, Photography, Sculpture and Ceramics.