Eastern Michigan University School of Visual and Built Environments
Position: Assistant Professor – Simulation, Animation, and Gaming program
The School of Visual and Built Environments (SVBE) in the College of Technology at Eastern Michigan University invites applications for a tenure-track position in the Simulation, Animation, and Gaming Program beginning fall 2019. SAG is the largest program in SVBE with more than 200 students. In addition, SAG is an accredited program by the National Association of Schools of Arts and Design (NASAD).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include:
The successful applicant must have the ability to teach a variety of Simulation, Animation, and Gaming courses that fulfill the SAG curriculum goals and objectives; develop and maintain curriculum; participate in services to support the mission of the program, school, the university, and the community. The candidate is expected to remain active in research and scholarly activities including developing externally funded research programs.
- An earned Ph.D. in simulation, animation, gaming, or a closely-related field, or an MFA in a closely-related field.
- Consideration will be given to candidates with experience in the following areas:
- A record of successful professional and/or teaching experience.
- High level of proficiency with Maya, 3dsMax, Photoshop, After Effects, and/or Unity.
- Teaching VR/AR courses for animation using PCs, mobile devices, and/or labs.
- Proven skills in directing student and/or team projects.
- Capable of designing and redesigning course content for Simulation Animation and/or Gaming courses, including tests, quizzes, weekly assignments, projects and portfolios.
- Ability to assist in keeping the program current and aligned with the accreditation standards.
- Ability or has a potential of dissemination/exhibition of games or similar works in venues such as SIGGRAPH, Indiecade, etc.
- Capable of working well in collaborative work environments.
This is an eight-month appointment position. EMU offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
All applications must be submitted online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/emichedu/default.cfm. Application materials should include 1) letter of application, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) statement of teaching interest, 4) statement of research interest, 5) a digital portfolio, 6) copy of graduate transcripts, and 7) names and contact information of three professional references. Review of the applications will begin on February 15, 2019, and will continue until position is filled.
EMU enrolls approximately 20,000 students and offers an outstanding benefits package and a collegial work environment. EMU’s distinct mix of comprehensive academic resources, strong community initiatives, focus on Education First, and nationally-recognized undergraduate and graduate student research achievements set it apart. The EMU campus is located in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor community, five miles from downtown Ann Arbor and 35 miles west of Detroit, MI and Windsor, Ontario.
Eastern Michigan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator that is strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity.
The mission of the School of Visual and Built Environments is to prepare students for professional careers related to our undergraduate and graduate programs of study: Apparel/Textiles/Merchandising, Communication Technology, Construction Management, Interior Design and Simulation/Animation/Gaming.
SVBE accomplishes its mission this through student/faculty engagement in project-based, hands-on, innovative and creative learning, global awareness, scholarly/creative and research activity in applied technology, active partnerships with businesses, industry, and community outreach and service.