Job no: 522083
Work type: Administrative & Professional
Senior management: Dean of Libraries
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Categories: Library, Visual Arts/Design/Creative Technologies
The 3D Technical Artist manages 3D imaging and modeling for Virginia Tech University Libraries’ Digital Imaging program. This position works to expand Virginia Tech’s digital cultural heritage and natural history collections through 3D imaging of cultural heritage artifacts and scientific specimens. Under the supervision of the Director of Digital Libraries and Preservation this position will expand the 3D imaging and modeling program by accomplishing the following:
- Trains students, wage employees, and graduate assistants to ensure they conform to best practices and department standards
- Collaborate with the Digital Imaging Coordinator to manage imaging workflows and processes according to archival and department standards
- Maintain and improve a high throughput workflow for photogrammetry processes
- Conduct quality control and project management for the 3D imaging program
- Identify and implement process improvements and areas for automation
- Work with colleagues to expand applications for 3D models through augmented and virtual reality development, and through 3D printing and fabrication
- Master’s degree in Creative Technologies, or similiar
- – Significant experience with photogrammetry and 3D modeling using software such as Z-Brush, Maya, Agisoft Metashape, Reality Capture, Blender, Substance 3D Painter, etc.
- Knowledge of DSLR Cameras and Lenses
- Significant experience with quality control on digital content
- Experience working with metadata, image file formats, and image editing software
- Project management skills, including planning, organization, and time management, and a demonstrated ability to adjust priorities, and make effective decisions in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience establishing positive and productive collaborations with diverse teams across departments and disciplines
- High level of professionalism and sensitivity to working in a multicultural setting
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, organizational, communication skills
- Experience with batch processing related to digital curation
- Experience supervising students
- Knowledge of current issues in digital libraries
- Knowledge of metadata standards for 3D content, such as the Smithsonian 3D metadata model
- Knowledge of common library metadata standards
A/P Faculty Lecturer, regular full-time appointment
$50,000 minimum dependent on education and experience
October 24, 2022
– The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
The application package needs to include a Resume/CV, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required and preferred qualifications, names of three (3) references and their contact information.
- The University Libraries at Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. We are committed to mentoring and establishing safe spaces, both physical and virtual, where employees from current and historically minoritized groups can thrive.
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, the University Libraries commit to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Cathy Pillow at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: September 26, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled