The Assistant Professor of Time Arts will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in sound, video and digital media. The ideal candidate will possess experience and a high level of skill in all three areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses emphasizing sound, video and digital media.
- Perform professional service for the Division of Design and Media Arts and the university.
- Assist with management of Time Arts area.
- Participate in the assessment of student work, program and curricular development.
- Maintain an ongoing record of research and artistry.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- A terminal degree (M.F.A. or Ph.D.) in Visual Arts, design, media art or related fields from an accredited (recognized equivalent) university completed by June 30, 2020.
- Two years teaching experience in art, design, or related fields at the university level.
- A demonstrated record of contribution to the diversity equity and inclusion of the academic community through research, creative and scholarly activities, teaching, advising and service.
- A demonstrated record of excellence within the field of new media and contemporary art.
Knowledge of video and audio editing software, video production, new media software, and computer/video hardware.
- Effective teaching of Time Arts courses, from entry level to graduate level;
- An expert user and instructor of applicable software and digital technologies that is engaged with current trends and grounded in the contemporary concepts, principles and art-making practices;
- Experience teaching creative coding and interactive digital media;
- Capability of managing and supervising computer and digital fabrication facilities;
- Experience building computers and networking labs and optimizing computers for demanding software;
- Evidence of collaboration in curricular development in new media/contemporary art or cross disciplinary approaches;
- Experience with administration of Time Arts studios;
- Effectiveness as a mentor and advisor of students;
- Relevant industry experience outside of academia;
- Record of active participation in professional organizations;
- Experience in teaching media-centric foundational level art and design courses.
The School of Art and Design at Northern Illinois University (NIU) invites applications for one tenure-track position in the area of Time Arts, at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning Fall 2023.
NIU, located 65 miles west from Chicago, is a comprehensive teaching and research-based institution with close to 17,000 currently enrolled students. The main campus is located in DeKalb, 65 miles west of Chicago’s “Loop” and 40 miles southeast of Rockford. In addition to the main campus, NIU has three education centers in Rockford, and Naperville. DeKalb/Sycamore, with a population of about 50,000, is a modern paradox, a rural/urban community. It is simultaneously recognized for its manufacturing and rich farmlands. The site of the first manufacture of barbed wire and the development of hybrid seed corn are evidence of its diversified history. This year Meta (Facebook) announced further expansion with an injection of over $1 billion into three new data centers at its cloud campus in DeKalb. The blend of industry and agriculture, coupled with the cultural and recreational facilities of the university and supplemented by easy access to Chicago and Rockford, provide an enjoyable environment in which to live.