(Credit: Film still from Tending Breadth (2019), courtesy of Heather Taylor and Jacklyn Brickman)
CAA’s Services to Artists Committee (SAC) invites current graduate students (or 2020 graduates) to submit work for consideration in the 2021 Graduate Screenings: Film/Video, Animations, & New Genres program for the upcoming 109th Annual Conference in February 2021. For the conference, SAC will screen the selected winners online.
Through this screening and exhibition initiative, SAC aims to give the next generation of artists and practitioners an opportunity to display their work in a national forum. Our annual Graduate Screenings celebrates the hard work of graduate students across the nation and world, while exposing their artworks to a broad audience. We look forward to reviewing your submission.
Applicants must be enrolled currently in an MFA (or equivalent MA or PhD) program OR have graduated from a program in the spring or summer of 2020. Due to the university shutdowns in the spring of 2020, SAC will accept submissions from recent 2020 program graduates.
Please use the form below to submit your entry. Submission for consideration is free and membership with CAA is not required (we are collecting this information for statistical purposes). All videos must follow the specifications and meet all technical requirements or they will not be accepted.
Farhad Bahram, Indiana State University; Robert Howsare, West Virginia Wesleyan College; Sue Huang, University of Connecticut; Richard Serrano, Art This Week Productions
Ugochukwu-Smooth C. Nzewi, the Steven and Lisa Tananbaum Curator, Department of Painting and Sculpture at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)
Invited guest juror Ugochukwu-Smooth C. Nzewi will select one work from the SAC juried program to be awarded best in show.
firstname.lastname@example.org; please include “Graduate Screening Question” in the subject line if you have a question
Deadline for submission: December 4, 2020
Acknowledgment of submission selection: January 19, 2021
Submissions Items for Application Form Input:
- First and last name
- Name of school and department
- Degree (MFA, PhD or MA) and major/concentration
- Year of graduation
- AA member status (it is not required to be a member)
- If member, CAA membership number
- Narrative bio
- Artist statement
- Personal website (optional)
- Vimeo link (see specs below)
- Film still from your video to be used for promotion purposes (see specs below)
Video/Image Submission Specifications:
Please note that submissions missing any of the below specifications may be disqualified from consideration.
- 5 minutes in maximum length (excerpts accepted)
- H.264 at 1920 x 1280px (MP4 file format)
- Include 2 opening title cards:
- 1st card–5 seconds; include your full name (first and last), title of work, year of completion, name of school, department and/or program
- 2nd card–5 seconds; include credits for music, sound, other camera people, editing. Even if these were you, include these credits
- Upload submission to Vimeo.com (include your link. Video must remain viewable on Vimeo until February 9th). —Selected participants will be required to upload their hi-res video file to a Google drive in late January and maintain their video on Vimeo till the end of the conference
- Still from video submission
- 960 x 640px (landscape), 72 dpi (JPG file format)
The Services to Artists Committee (SAC) was formed by the CAA Board of Directors to seek broader participation by artists and designers in the organization and the Annual Conference. SAC identifies and addresses concerns facing artists and designers; creates and implements programs and events at the conference and beyond; explores ways to encourage greater participation and leadership in CAA; and identifies ways to establish closer ties with other arts professionals and institutions. To this end, committee members are responsible for the programming of ARTspace and its related events.