Leonardo/ISAST is looking for a full-time remote Editorial Assistant to join our publications team.
- Provide general support to and assist Managing Editor
- Print, digital and experimental publications
- Special projects & partnerships, joint-publications, new media platforms
- Copy editing & writing
- Copy edit and proofread journals, publications, and other written work (print and digital)
- Draft and contribute writing to bi-monthly newsletter and meet deadlines
- Draft and contribute writing to marketing and fundraising campaigns, including end of year outreach, promotional materials, and reports as needed
- Add new journal and book releases and monitor monthly reviews for website content
- Draft and copy edit social media posts
- Journal Publication management
- Tracking, organization, and coordination of permissions forms, images, and supplemental materials
- Formatting manuscripts at various stages of the editing process
- Coordinate various print sections
- Assisting with issue shipment to compositors
- Reading page proof revisions against previous drafts
- Editorial Administration and Communication
- Author correspondence
- Publisher correspondence
- Editorial Review Board correspondence as needed
- Photocopy and ship hard copies of printed and published materials
- Record keeping and note-taking from meetings
- Add, update, maintain author records in database; Compile annual author index
- Maintain physical archives of journals and manuscripts
- Maintain editorial calendar
- Two years minimum experience in an editorial office (remote OK)
- Impeccable written American English; expert at grammar with a real grasp of language and usage
- Understanding of editorial and production processes including stages of development, rights and permissions, and image requirements
- Excellent verbal communication
- Experience writing for a professional audience
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Efficient and organized
- Extensive experience and comfort using Microsoft Word
- Experience with using Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Experience with advanced Microsoft Word functions including custom templates, paragraph styles, and tracking changes
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style
- Knowledge of standard proofreading symbols and protocol
- Knowledge of basic print/text design practices, eg, templates, grids, hierarchy
Mission: Leonardo fosters transformation at the nexus of art, science and technology because complex problems require creative solutions. We serve to empower an inclusive global network, a borderless community where all belong in pursuit of a more vibrant, just and regenerative world.
A fearless pioneer since 1968, Leonardo serves as THE community forging a transdisciplinary network to convene, research, collaborate and disseminate best practices at the nexus of arts, science and technology worldwide. Leonardo serves a network of transdisciplinary scholars, artists, scientists, technologists and thinkers who experiment with new, cutting-edge approaches, practices, systems and solutions to tackle the most complex challenges facing humanity today.
As a not-for-profit 501(c)3 enterprising think tank, Leonardo offers a global platform for creative exploration and collaboration, reaching tens of thousands of people across 135 countries. Our flagship publication, Leonardo, the world’s leading scholarly journal on transdisciplinary art, anchors a robust publishing partnership with MIT Press; our partnership with Arizona State University infuses educational innovation with digital art and media for lifelong learning. Our creative programs span thought-provoking events, exhibits, residencies and fellowships, scholarship and social enterprise ventures.
As a member of the Leonardo/ISAST team, the Editorial Assistant serves to support fellow staff, volunteers, leadership, and the community. We are all responsible for creating safe, respectful, productive work relationships, culture and environment. We are aligned with Leonardo’s vision and values, our Code of Ethics, and our commitment to action for anti-racism, social justice, and human dignity. The Editorial Assistant role contributes to Leonardo’s positive impact, advancing what it can do to make the world a better place.
We are a small organization with a globally distributed team. We encourage a culture of support, agility, trust, and transparency. Commitment towards justice, equity, diversity and inclusion:
Leonardo/ISAST is committed to a J.E.D.I. practice. Please refer to our anti-racist editorial policies and code of ethics. We encourage applicants from around the globe to apply including those from underrepresented communities of color, ability and LGTBQI.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please apply through Indeed.
- CV/Resume or Linkedin Profile.
- Writing sample (ideally written in Chicago manual style).
- Cover letter, including when you are available to start.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
This position is currently remote; it may remain remote or be based potentially in Leonardo offices located in Oakland California, or potentially at or near Arizona State University offices in Tempe, AZ, Los Angeles, CA, or Washington, D.C.
- Flexible work hours and schedule
- Family-friendly environment
- Leonardo provides 50% share of a selection health plan.
- 3% matching contribution towards at SEP IRA
- 10 days paid vacation, 10 days paid sick
- 8 federal holidays, and office closure December 25 – Jan 1
- Leonardo author information
- Leonardo Publications
- ASU-Leonardo Initiative
- MIT Press
- Questions email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fearlessly pioneering since 1968, Leonardo serves as THE community forging a transdisciplinary network to convene, research, collaborate, and disseminate best practices at the nexus of arts, science and technology worldwide. Leonardo’ serves a network of transdisciplinary scholars, artists, scientists, technologists and thinkers, who experiment with cutting-edge, new approaches, practices, systems and solutions to tackle the most complex challenges facing humanity today.
As a not-for-profit 501(c)3 enterprising think tank, Leonardo offers a global platform for creative exploration and collaboration reaching tens of thousands of people across 135 countries. Our flagship publication, Leonardo, the world’s leading scholarly journal on transdisciplinary art, anchors a robust publishing partnership with MIT Press; our partnership with ASU infuses educational innovation with digital art and media for lifelong learning; our creative programs span thought-provoking events, exhibits, residencies and fellowships, scholarship and social enterprise ventures.