Full Information of This Position on University Website:
The new head will be given much needed university resources to turn CMA into one of the leading computational media and arts departments in the world. Reporting to the Dean of the Information Hub, the Head of CMA will be a visionary, energetic and open-minded academic expected to provide leadership and manage the department in its diverse academic and administrative functions in the HKUST brand new campus in China.
The successful candidate will have
- A PhD degree preferably in a computational arts / digital arts / sonic arts / game arts / new media field or equivalent;
- Substantial experience in leadership positions in higher education / managing teams;
- Over 10 years of teaching experience in higher education (including supervision of postgraduate students);
- Proven scholarly work or art practice in relevant fields, such as computational arts and new media, with: exhibitions in top venues / solo or group exhibitions; publications in journals / books / book chapters; peer-reviewed publications in conferences
- Professional/industrial experience preferred;
- Experience of institutional collaboration with museums and galleries will be an asset;
- High proficiency in English.
Why join us?
- Thrust head salary comparable to US and Hong Kong institutions
- Tax rebate in the Greater Bay Area once eligible
- Generous fringe benefits
- On campus housing available
- All substantiation staff receive sizeable start-up fund (up to several million RMB)
- HKUST is ranked 34th out of the World’s Top 1300 Universities (QS 2022)
- Exclusive access to 2,000 sq. m brand new lab facilities with all the latest tools
- Ample time provided for research/art practice
- Many other funding opportunities in the Greater Bay area
- Great community of interdisciplinary, international staff & students
- Private health insurance for staff and eligible family members residing in Chinese mainland
- Family-friendly campus
- New campus only 30 min by train from Hong Kong and 20 min from Shenzhen
Terms & Applications / Nominations
Concurrent with a professorial appointment, the appointment as Head will normally be for an initial term of 3 years, and may be renewable for a second term. Outstanding faculty joining the university will receive ample funds to setup their research in Guangzhou.
Applications/nominations for the position are invited from well-qualified and accomplished scholars. In addition to reputable academic qualification, extensive teaching and research experience, the successful candidate must have demonstrated capability to provide strong leadership at the tertiary level. Proven capacity to interact effectively with government, industry and commercial sectors is an advantage.
Interested parties should send:
- Full curriculum vitae
- Names and email address of 3 referees
- A vision statement of no more than 600 words (their vision for the department, plans for the future, strategy for success)
All materials should be sent to the Search Committee Chair for Headship of CMA (email@example.com). Review of applications will start as soon as they are received and the search will continue until the position is filled.
Information provided by applicants will only be used for recruitment and other employment related purposes.
About HKUST (Guangzhou campus) https://hkust-gz.edu.cn/
Please visit https://cma.hkust-gz.edu.cn/ for more information about the Computational Media and Arts team and program and the list of faculty https://cma.hkust-gz.edu.cn/tag/faculty/
English is the medium of instruction and administration at HKUST (GZ). HKUST(GZ) is committed to diversity in recruitment and equal opportunity employment, and we strongly encourage suitable candidates of diverse backgrounds to submit their applications.
Founded in 1991, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is a world-renowned international research university dedicated to the advancement of learning and scholarship, with special emphasis on postgraduate education and close collaboration with industry, business, and government. It promotes interdisciplinary studies and is dedicated to educating all-rounded students to acquire a strong entrepreneurial spirit and innovative thinking with a global outlook.
While the University is deeply rooted in Hong Kong, the Ministry of Education of People’s Republic of China officially approved the founding of The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou) (HKUST (GZ)) in September 2019. HKUST (GZ) is being developed in Guangzhou, Chinese mainland to complement the well-established disciplinary foundation at HKUST. With its short history, HKUST has established a strong presence in the global higher education scene and has been ranked among the top universities by QS Universities Rankings and the Times Higher Education Supplement. English is the medium of teaching, research and administration. HKUST (GZ) is situated in Nansha District, Guangzhou, which is right in the center of the Greater Bay Area, one of the most vibrant and dynamic regions in the world, neighboring Shenzhen, Hong Kong, and Macao.
The CMA Thrust Area:
HKUST (GZ) has established 4 transdisciplinary hubs and 16 thrust areas to achieve maximum synergy in education and research. Among these is the Computational Media and Arts (CMA) Thrust Area. The CMA promotes the interplay of media arts, technology, and research and exploits the most advanced technologies for creativity with a social impact. Composed of faculty members and students from diverse backgrounds, such as media arts and computing, CMA is currently actively recruiting staff and students. CMA is expected to grow to 30 faculty members and 200 research postgraduate students within a few years with plans to add taught postgraduate and undergraduate students in the future too.