Assistant Professor in Digital/Hybrid Media, position #6569
The Division of Art at SMU, Meadows School of the Arts invites nominations and applications for an opportunity to be involved in the shaping of a dynamic interdisciplinary curriculum in Art. The candidate selected will be expected to be a significant partner in connecting the Division to an increasingly diverse and globally connected community at the University and in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex. This position will further curricular collaboration with the department of Creative Computing and Lyle School of Engineering.
We are interested in an artist and educator working dynamically across a range of possible platforms including interactive art, performance, live image processing, 3D computer modeling and animation, internet-based art, physical computing, robotics and sound art. Teaching responsibilities will include introductory and advanced courses including creative computation, responsive arts, and computational sculpture. Other responsibilities include graduate teaching and advising the Division of Art’s technician to support and maintain Fabrication Labs and other digital media platforms.
- MFA in Art
- Understanding of contemporary art and the theory and history of digital and hybrid media practices
- At least one year full-time teaching at university level
- Active professional practice within the field of contemporary art
- Two years full-time teaching at university level
- A demonstration of an artistic practice and/or teaching that integrates Digital/Hybrid Media with any of the following areas: film/video, performance, sculpture, installation, painting, or printmaking.
Applications must include:
- Letter of application highlighting the candidate’s accomplishments
- Artist statement describing the artist’s work in relation to current Digital/Hybrid Media practices.
- Name and contact information of three references
- 20 work samples
Applications must be submitted via Slideroom and are due by January 15. The committee will continue to accept applications until the position is filled. Hiring is contingent upon the satisfactory completion of a background check.