The FSU Innovation Hub is seeking an Assistant Director of New and Immersive Media Design (Teaching Faculty I, 12-month salaried). The primary goal of this new and exciting faculty line is to develop a program in Interdisciplinary New and Immersive Media Design defined as
the application of traditional design principles to new and emerging digital platforms such as virtual and augmented reality, 360-degree photography/videography, animation, web, and mobile, using development tools and coding, for the purpose of information transfer, data visualization, education and training, simulation, expression and entertainment.
The successful candidate will develop and teach interdisciplinary courses and workshops, and mentor student projects in areas of New and Immersive Media. The first two courses to be developed will be Intro to New and Immersive Media, and Intro to VR Development. These courses are intended to serve as the foundation for a larger program yet to be developed. In addition to developing and delivering courses and workshops, this position will be responsible for the administration of our New and Immersive Media Lab and our Interdisciplinary Immersive Media Design Group made up of faculty from across campus engaged in these technologies. This Assistant Director position will be supported by student assistants and interns.
The Innovation Hub supports interdisciplinary innovation through Design Thinking and emerging technologies. Applicants with experience or formal training in Design Thinking and an area of Design such as UX design, Web design, product design, service design, graphic design, etc., will have an advantage in the application process, but Design Thinking training will be provided to a strong candidate that lacks DT experience. We are seeking an experienced educator with fresh ideas and energy that will be at home in a dynamic, rapidly evolving environment. This position will be an integral part of Florida State University’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship ecosystem, joining a highly collaborative team of accomplished professionals who provide consultations, technical expertise, project development, and infrastructure for cross-discipline innovative students.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
- Develop courses and workshops in the area of New and Immersive Media Design
- Teach two courses in Fall and Spring semesters
- Help to design and supervise a New and Immersive Media Design Lab
- Serve as convener and facilitator for FSU’s Interdisciplinary Immersive Media Design Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Facilitate and mentor student projects in New and Immersive Media Design
- Supervise student interns and grad assistant
- Serve as liaison between FSU and New and Immersive Design-related industries to foster public/private partnerships.
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the Innovation Hub as needed
- Academic doctorate or highest level terminal degree related to Design and/or Technology OR equivalent qualifications based on professional experience
- Demonstrated record of achievement in teaching and curriculum development
- Professional-level experience with Unity and/or Unreal Engine development software
- Demonstrated knowledge of current issues, trends and best practices, related to design, innovation, and emerging technologies especially as related to higher education.
- Experience supervising a team of employees
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and staff in a team environment
- Demonstrated initiative and flexibility to carry out project-based work, both independently and collaboratively